Have you ever googled something like this?
“What are the best wedding photographers near me?”
Because that is really what you wanted. You wanted the best ______ nearby. Whether it was a photographer or restaurant or even dog groomer.
And google gives you something like this.
So handy, right? All of the info you need is right there. Phone number. Check. Website. Check. Reviews. Check. Directions. Check.
Have you ever wondered how your business can show up in this glorious box? Can you even imagine how much more traffic + conversions you would have if your site showed up this box? The answer my wonderful Search Friends is called…
Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses, brands, artists, and organizations to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps this includes Google + and Google Reviews. By verifying and editing your business information–think website, location, hours, phone number– you can both help customers find you and tell them the story of your business.
If your business isn’t listed on Google My Business yet. Add it to your Must Do List, because it helps determine how your business information shows up on Googles search results.
What is Google My Business
Google My Business or GMB is the dashboard where you as a business owner can create and manage Google + Local Business Pages, Google + Brand Pages and Google Search Listings. A few years ago, these all used to be separate platforms, now they are all under GMB.
In the Google My Business dashboard you can manage things like images, business hours, directions, view analytics and access all of your Google Apps. It is also connected to YouTube and hangouts.
Setting Up Google My Business
One quick note before we dive into this, if your business has multiple physical locations (think Starbucks or a Spa) jump over and read this article by LunaMetrics on how to set up multiple locations.
1. Go to google.com/business click Start Now in the Upper Right Corner and use the Google Account that you want to use for the Business Account.
2. Search for your business by name, if it isn’t listed, Add your business.
3. Verify your business. You can do this by postcard, phone, instantly or through bulk verification. If you choose the postcard, Google will actually mail you a postcard with a Pin Number. Once you receive it in the mail, you will need to login to verify it.
What if your business is online only?
If your business is online only or if you have a PO Box or if you work out of your house and you don’t want your home address showing up for everyone to see, you still should register your business with Google My Business–but as a brand page–it will help your Google Local Search.
There are two types of Google Local Pages: Business Pages and Brand Pages. The only difference is that the Business Pages list the physical location, hours and other info that appears on Google Maps. Brand Pages are more appropriate for online creative entrepreneurs. Brand Pages are focused more on followers, engagement and fans and don’t necessarily have a fixed location.
- Open the Google My Business app and sign in. You can download the app for Android or iOS.
- Tap the three dash menu icon.
- Tap on your account and scroll to the bottom of your list of accounts.
- Tap Create new business.
- Select Brand (and choose an account, if prompted).
- Fill in the empty fields to finish creating your page.
Google has extensive help and support docs for all of this online. I have found it all really useful. Check this support doc out if you need it.
If you want to know more, I found these articles really helpful.
Step by Step Set Up –she included screen caps for each step
Check your local listing status